M161 - Survey of Calculus
Course Syllabus and Policies
One of the following:
- M 121 (Math 105) College Algebra, or an equivalent transfer course.
- MSU Math Placement Level Exam (MPLEX) Level IV
- College entrance exams:
- Math ACT score of 25 or higher
- Math SAT score of 580 or higher
Students who do not satisfy one of the above prerequisites will not be allowed to take the class.
Applied Calculus for the Managerial, Life, and Social Sciences, 8th edition by S. T. Tan
There will be two 100 point exams and a 200 point comprehensive final. Up to 100 points can also be earned based on class quizzes and/or homework. Letter grades will be based on points earned out of a possible 500 points.
Course Letter Grades:
will be determined based on the following percentages:
- A (93% - 100%)
- A- (90% - 92.9%)
- B+ (87% - 89.9%)
- B (83% - 86.9)
- B- (80% - 82.9%)
- C+ (77% - 79.9%)
- C (70% - 76.9)
- D (60% - 69.9%)
- F (< 60%)
- Calculators and other electronic devices are not allowed on exams. The exams are closed-book exams, but students may bring one two-sided 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of notes to each exam. Past exams can be viewed on this website.
- All students must take all exams at their scheduled times. If for exceptional and documented reasons beyond your control you cannot take an exam as scheduled, please contact Professor Lukas Geyer prior to the exam.
Math Learning Center:
The MLC is located in 1-112 Wilson Hall and is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30am to 9:00pm, and on Fridays from 8:30am to 2:00pm. At all these times M161 students can drop in and receive learning assistance. You must have your Cat Card to enter.