Math Placement Level Exam (MPLEX)
The Mathemaical Sciences Department wil be offering three dates this fall or all students to take the Math Placement Level Exam without scheduling and without a fee:
- August 19 (Wednesday) from 2:00pm to 4:00pm in Reid Hall, Room 302
- August 20 (Thursday) from 2:00pm to 4:00pm in Reid Hall, Room 302
- August 24 (Monday) from 2:00pm to 4:00pm in Reid Hall, Room 302
What is the Math Placement Level Exam (MPLEX)?
MPLEX is a math placement exam. Results from this exam can satisfy mathematical prerequisite requirements for math, statistics and related courses.
Do I need to schedule an appointment?
- YES. MSU Testing Services provides testing services for current students on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 9:00am - 3:00am, by appointmet only.
- MSU Testing Services: (406) 994-6984
Fee: $15.00 (cash or check required for payment at check-in).
- New, incoming students have the opportunity to take the MPLEX during new student (and transfer) orientations.
How can I prepare?
Sample MPLEX Problems (PDF format)
- For additional practice, the A.P.C.A.W. (Algebra PreCalculus - A Workbook) is available for purchase in the MSU Bookstore.
- A list of useful internet resources can be found on our Resources for Undergraduate Students page.
Do I need to bring anything?
- Bring a picture ID and something to write with.
- You may bring a calculator, but it is not required.
- Paper will be provided.
- Time allowed for the test is 90 minutes.
When will I know my placement level or exam results?
- You will receive a pass/fail grade immediiately after completing the exam.
- The official score will be available to instructors by accessing Banner or Degreeworks the following Monday morning.
Your MPLEX score is good for ONE year.
For questions regarding prerequisites, please visit our Prerequisites and Policy page.
For questions regarding which exam to take or course prerequisites, please call the Academic Advising Center at (406) 994-3532.